Information on Insect Allergy
Notes, Nutrients, Herbs/Supplements, and Advice
Back to Disorder Library
Not too many insects that are capable of causing a person to react allergically. Some of the more well known are honey bees, hornets, yellow jacks, and spiders. Allergic reactions can cause wheezing, tightness in the throat and chest, nausea, diarrhea, & hives. People with respiratory ailments can have more serious reactions.
Helpful nutrients for this condition.
- For severe allergies to insects and epipen or prescriptions may be required by a doctor. Your doctor may also request that you under go immunotherapy.
- Garlic helps applied on the skin or ingested.
- Use antihistamines given after a sting can reduce the later symptoms.
Bioflavonoid. Decreases reactions from allergies.
Anti-inflammatory. Combats toxins from insect bites. Buffered vitamin C or calcium ascorbate is recommended for children.
Helpful herbs and supplements for this condition.
Applied to the affected area, the lotion may help to alleviate the itchiness and redness that can be evident.
Oils of Cedar, Citronella, Eucalyptus, Pennyroyal, Rosemary, & Rue
Insect repellent dog and cat collars are often times composed of these components in order to ward off insects (and possibly people too.)
Pennyroyal should not be used when pregnancy is evident. Do not use pennyroyal for a long time.
Putting lavender on a bite can take away the itching.
Tea tree oil
Insects do not seem to enjoy being around the smell of tea tree oil. Tea tree oil can be helpful to take discomfort away from the bites. If the full strength oil is too strong, it can be diluted with canola oil or a different kind of vegetable oil that does not have a strong fragrance. Add to desired strength.
- Do not wear or use hair spray, sun tan lotion, scented soaps, or perfume. You clothing should be fitted and light colors.
- If you are allergic to insect stings you should carry an epinephrine kit with you at all times.
- If you are stung never pull the stinger out instead take a fingernail or the edge of a credit card and rake over the stinger and ease it out.
- In a result of swelling use a ice pack to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- To stay away from bees do not go near flower gardens.