Information on Lyme Disease
Notes, Nutrients, Herbs/Supplements, and Advice
Back to Disorder Library
Lyme Disease is one of the most prevalent diseases found in the United States that is caused by a tick. Unless you are aware that you might have been bitten by a tick, you might you had the flu because of achiness, fever, headache, etc.
Helpful nutrients for this condition.
- Medication is prescribed for developed characteristics of Lyme Disease. If disease is in the later stages heart, brain, or joints antibiotics will not help.
- Pets also can get Lyme disease.
- Pregnant women need to stay clear of ticks in Lyme disease areas.
- The vaccine for Lyme disease is not 100% effective.
Essential fatty acids
Eases inflammation and stiff joints.
Pancreatin and Bromelain
Helps digest proteins. Eases inflammation.
Alleviates pain and inflammation. Boosts prostaglandin production.
Helpful herbs and supplements for this condition.
Can be very good for the digestive system and can help treat such disorders as constipation and arthritis. Use it as an aid to increase clotting of the blood. Alfalfa can also be used as a diuretic. In addition, it can assist with the reduction of inflammation in the prostrate, as well as to treat acute or chronic cystitis. Alfalfa can be an excellent source of Vitamin K. Alfalfa can be found in natural supplements, as well as in alfalfa sprouts.
Dandelion Root, Ginseng, Hawthorn, Horsetail, & Marshmallow Root
Choose one of these herbs to repair the damage that has been to the circulatory system, as well as tissues that have been harmed.
Also known as Purple Coneflower. Echinacea can be used as an alternative to using antibiotics. Also to be a blood cleanser.
Goldenseal is native to North America and is an excellent source of calcium, iron, manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, B-complex, & other vitamins and minerals. If you take it at the first sign of respiratory ailments, this herb can lessen the effects of the illness.
Goldenseal's use should be limited to one week at a time. Limit your usage of goldenseal if you are pregnant. Be very careful using goldenseal if you have been told you are allergic to ragweed.
Milk Thistle has been shown to nutritionally support healthy liver function. Used for reducing inflammations of the liver.
Red Clover may assist in making the immune system stronger. It can cleanse the blood and lymphatic system. It also may lessen the effects of viral and bacterial infections.
- A bulls-eye-type rash on your body may indicate a tick bite and should be brought to the attention of your doctor. It is important to begin treatments as soon as possible.
- An insect repellent with diet (diethyl toluamide) is recommended. It is best to put it on your clothes, not skin, as it is safer and more effective longer. Wear it sparingly, carefully following label directions. Be careful when using it as it can be fatal if swallowed. Keep out of reach of children and do not use around children.
- Barley grass, royal jelly, and bee pollen help tissue and blood repair.
- Bathe children as soon as possible after they spend a lot of time outside. Change their clothes and check them thoroughly for ticks. Be sure to check the following areas carefully: backs of knees, ears, hair, underarm, trunk, and groin.
- Check the fur of your pet when he comes in from outside to make sure he is not bringing ticks into the house.
- Detoxify your body by consuming green drinks, a good source of chlorophyll.
- Drying clothes in dryer for half an hour will help eliminate ticks on clothing. Washing in hot water and bleach will not get rid of all the ticks.
- False-positive lyme test results are possible. If treatments are not improving your condition, it is wise to be tested again.
- Garlic and garlic supplements are recommended to enhance the immune system and work as a natural antibiotic.
- Immediately check for ticks after being outdoors. Raised bumps or pin-point size specks on clothing may be indicative of ticks.
- It is best to remain in the center of trails when hiking or to stay out of the woods completely. This is especially important during May through July.
- Lawn should be kept short, leaves should be removed, and woodpiles should not be near the house.
- Supplement with acidophilus when taking antibiotics.
- To remove a tick, grab him with tweezers. Carefully pull it straight out, without twisting or squeezing. Keep the tick for possible inspection later. Matches, kerosene, and petroleum jelly are not recommended remedies for tick removal. After removal of the tick, cleanse the bite area as well as your hands. Use a topical antiseptic like rubbing alcohol to cleanse the area. Deer tick bites should be brought to the attention of a physician. Any strange symptoms in the three weeks after a tick bite should be brought to the attention of a physician.
- Wear light-colored clothing that covers your entire body (long pants, socks, long-sleeve shirt, scarf, hat, and gloves) while in wooded areas.
- Whirlpool treatments and hot baths can help alleviate pain in the joints.